Rawlins Family

Rawlins Family

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

We're homeschooling! Wowza!

Last Wednesday was our first official day of homeschooling. It was horrible, if I'm being honest. I was anxious all day long! My biggest fear about homeschooling is that I will leave out something critical and my children will be poorly trained for the world ahead of them. Because of all my anxiety I was frantically rushing through each subject and assignment so when I hit a roadblock (Cameron not wanting to read the books I had painstakingly picked out for him)  the day just kind of went south. I kept thinking, "WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?!?!" But we plugged on and finished our work for the day.

Thursday was better. Not perfect, but better. I could see the ways that I needed to lighten up. No teacher is able to stick perfectly to their lesson plan every day, and you have to be able to roll with the punches. So I tried to dial down the crazy and I felt much better at the end of the day. And wouldn't you know it? With me being less of a stress case my kids were less of a stress case! And I started to see how maybe this is all going to work out.

So here we are, five days in and I'm feeling like this is all going to be okay. Here are a few pictures from our first days!

Cam is working in a really great watercolor book.
 
Volcano!
 
Geography puzzle
 
We spend a lot of time reading. Sometimes in weird places.
 
Miles coloring a picture of a prehistoric farmer using a shaduf.
 
Haley building a dinosaur at the museum.
 
Cameron being forced to read classical literature in addition to his favorite stuff.
Not quite as happy about it.

4 comments:

Christy said...

You will find your rhythm. everyone has to find their new normal. I know you well enough, you have no quit and you know how to be flexible when you need to be. that is what it is all about. homeschooling is sometimes driven by their wants and needs that day, so don't stress. there will be days you go off course....and that is OK. you've got this. Proud of you.

Chrystapooh said...

To put it bluntly, girl, you've got balls. Big, Texas-sized ones. I'd never have the confidence or the willpower to do what you're doing. I think you're amazing, little sister.

Wiseguys said...

You're my hero! Seriously. I think I'd make it a week and put the kids back in public school. Not enough patience in my body for that!

Jeni said...

You are a radically awesome mom. Wanna homeschool my kids?.! Haha