Rawlins Family

Rawlins Family

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Head of the Class

So here are the shots of Cam last Monday at his first day of school. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of Cameron yesterday on his first sick day from school. He was irate that I dared keep him home from his beloved kindergarten. So irate, in fact, that at lunch he glared at me coldly and said, "If you don't let me go to school tomorrow I'm going to leave and go to Nana's. SHE'LL let me go to school."

So yeah, first day.

P1040050  Getting into Daddy's car! Cam has a booster in Daddy's car and he gets to ride to school with Daddy every day. Cameron thinks this is basically the best idea ever created.

P1040051 Getting out of the car. Because it's important to catch EVERY MOMENT, right? Cameron will never again get out of daddy's car on the first day of his entire school career. I'm glad I have photographic evidence.

P1040054 Us and Cam. Cameron is obviously trying to break free of our loving, adoring grasp. "Mom! There are PEOPLE watching!!"

P1040055 The first thing you do when you arrive is head to the cafeteria and get in the line for your grade. We walked in and saw all those kids sitting there, the room humming with noise and activity. I looked down at Cam and saw his ghostly white face get even ghostlier. But he stayed strong. He walked to the back of the line and sat down. We stood to the side trying to find that balance between being close enough to make him feel safe and hovering.

P1040056 Once the bell rings a teacher comes to take the kindergarten line to their classes. Again, we walked down the hallway trying to give the kid his space. As we got closer to his classroom Cam looked around and then made a grab for daddy's hand. This is the point where I very nearly burst into tears.

P1040057 Cam showing off his sweet lunchbox (that broke on the first day).

P1040058 The last thing I saw before I walked out of the classroom and left him to the care of his (totally rad) teacher. He was so brave! And trying to act pretty cool. I think he pulled it off, don't you?

5 comments:

Sara said...

Way to go Cam!

Chrystapooh said...

O. M. G.

He has your "I'm so cool" smirk. I'd recognize that anywhere.

And it BROKE??? Bummer.

Anna@Exasperation said...

Heck yes he does! I've been teaching it to him for almost 6 years!
He's so good at it I'm starting to think he taught it to ME in the pre-existence...

Cook Family said...

AWW....how cute is he! So grown up and stuff.

Alyssa said...

Love love love the new picture smirk face. It's seriously so awesome.