Rawlins Family

Rawlins Family

Monday, November 21, 2011

Breaking Bella

Okay, so after some semi-public ribbing from my supahcool niece about my Thursday night plans last week, I have some things to say. So listen up, Tay.

I like the Twilight books/movies. I'm still not entirely sure why. I haven't been able to put a finger on it. I mean, I've been a book snob since I was five. And a movie snob since high school. Twilight is so out-of-control BAD in both book and movie form that it really makes no sense. But at the same time I JUST LOVE THEM, OKAY?

I'm not going to act like I'm too cool for Twilight. When have I ever been too cool for anything? (Except in high school. But all high schoolers are too cool for, well, I don't know. Everything but air and water.) It's starting to seriously grate on my nerves when I read about women who went to the movie, but are too cool for the movie. Um? How exactly does that work? Just admit that you love it too, okay? JUST ADMIT IT.

Now, as for the movie itself. It was pretty okay. I loved it and it was okay. There were parts I wanted to cringe because of the cheese, and parts where the cringe was because of bloodyicktasticalness (hello, bella's blood all over Edward's face for like 25 minutes?).

But for all the stuff I didn't like about it, there was just enough that I DID like about it. First, let's talk soundtracks. Twilight has always done a good job with music. But this go-round they brought back some oldies at just the right moment - like during the wedding scene when we heard the Iron & Wine song "Flightless Bird, American Mouth" originally heard during Bellward's prom dance? I thought that was so money. Carter Burwell's original Lullaby made a reappearance (re-a-hear-ance?), too.

Beyond music, I thought there were some great cinematic moments. The best was Bellas' transformation scenes...Hard to describe since I've only seen the movie once (for now), but I was pretty impressed...

And hi. Kellan Lutz. In this movie. How can you not like...?

At the end of the day, I don't think it's going to break your cool-o-meter to like Twilight. So maybe we can all put on our big girl pants and our capes and fangs and get along, okay?

Also, read here. I like how Nat (the sophisticated New York lifestyle blogger) puts it.

6 comments:

Chrystapooh said...

OK, so I know I've been giving you a hard time, but mostly just because it's fun. And you and Tay have all your cool inside jokes that I don't get to be privy to, so I jumped on this. However, I will admit that reading and then watching the Twilight series is on my list. It's fun to give you crap, but I need to know exactly what all I'm giving you crap about. And? You should have mentioned that Nat's blog post has spoilers in it. IN THE FORM OF THE POST TITLE. Hard to escape that one.

Nicole said...

I was also too there at 12:01 on Thursday night and I am not too cool to admit that I love it too. Pretty much everything you said in your post could have been written by me. I mean, if I wasn't so lazy and actually posted anything anymore. The movies and books ARE so bad they're good, and the music rocked, and hallelujah that somebody finally broke K-Stew out of her blinking/stuttering/head shaking/weird breathing habits. I hated her less this time.

Anyway, I will be sad when the last movie comes out and there is no more fantastic cheese to enjoy. Maybe I will come to Dallas to watch it with my other half;)

P.S. READ IT CHRYSTA. You know you are dying to join in the fun!

Nicole said...

Could I have used the word "too" a few more times in my comment? This is why I do not blog anymore. My brain is fried.

Anna@Exasperation said...

Chrysta it's def time you get on the bandwagon. Or not. Because you may gouge out your own eyes somewhere during the first book. For me the real fun is enjoying these things en masse with other girls who can ADMIT that they think the whole thing is swoonworthy.

Anna@Exasperation said...

Nicole, too, too, also too.

Abby said...

So true about the girls who are too cool for twilight but still go to see the movie! If you want to act too cool and make people believe you're too cool, then maybe rent and watch the movie in secret so no one knows...
I liked it lots - but I thought some of the music was kinda lame-o... like it didn't fit at all with what was going on... hmm. I think I just need to see it again to really get my opinion formed.