Rawlins Family

Rawlins Family

Wednesday, June 27, 2007



So if you haven't heard, it's raining in Dallas. A lot. Like, flooding. As in, in our living room. Yes, when Chase came home last night he went to look out the window and when he stepped on the carpet he felt a sickening *squish*. We look out front and see that our whole front walkway and flowerbeds are FLOODED! Right up to our front door. Luckily the water didn't get high enough to come in our front door, but apparently there is a gap in our brick outside that is just right for water to sneak in and flood our floor. Awesome. So last night I was sucking up water with my mother-in-law's steam cleaner late into the night. And it was gross dirty water, too. Gag.
Then, this morning as we were getting up the bed gave way. I guess all of the monkeys jumping on the bed (and, more importantly, climbing under the bed) had caused the middle supporting beam to twist out of place, thus the sudden clunk and heave of the mattress. So Chase had to fix that before running out of the house for work.
So, as if that wasn't bad enough we've discovered that two of the windows overlooking our deck are leaking (and I have my piano next to one of them - not cool). So we looked at it, realized it was causing lots of damage, but knew we couldn't do anything while it was pouring outside. Well, this morning after Chase leaves I hear a noise in the hallway where one of the windows is. I walk out to see our blinds on the floor and paint chips and drywall chunks everywhere. I guess the water got so bad that it weakened and rotted out the drywall. So now we have a huge hole there. So while the sun is shining I decide that we've gotta do something to try and seal up the windows. They're caulked just fine on the inside, it's the outside that is the problem. SO I find some "roof cement" stuff - that happens to be black like tar - and the caulk gun. Look at the directions, figure out how to use it and pop it in. I pull up the ladder, climb up and I'm squeezing and squeezing trying to get it to come out! All of the sudden the caulk container explodes. Apparently you have to puncture a hole in the seal. Oops. So I'm covered in the stuff - which is not easy to clean. BUT I still need to get the windows caulked because rain IS coming. So I cleaned myself off and found another tube and this time I punctured it correctly because all of the sudden black caulk is FLOWING and not stopping. SO, basically it's the most ghetto caulking job ever. Just caulk piled up everywhere. Hopefully it actually works.

6 comments:

Christy said...

Maybe we won't be coming down!!!

I'm so sorry. This rain is the pits.

Abby said...

oh my! sounds like the worst day ever! so sorry. sounds frustrating. good luck mr & mrs. fix it.

Sara K. said...

Tragic! Maybe Jerry needs to schedule another business trip to Dallas. Hope the ghetto caulk holds.

Chrystapooh said...

Oh, honey. I'm so sorry the your new house is so soggy and sodden. Thankfully though, it is still on its foundation and all your loves are safe and healthy.

I saw an awful story on the news yesterday. A young man, his fiancee and their newborn escaped their home in the middle of the night. He came back the next day to find the house in the backyard and everything in it coated in mud. They had homeowner's insurance, but they couldn't afford flood insurance, and since the house had been there for 22 years and nothing like that had ever happened, they didn't think they needed it. The home was paid off, too, so they have to completely start over. I can't imagine...

Hey Jeni, or Mom Rawlins, if you see this can you email me about something? (This is Chrysta, Anna's sister.) My email address is: chrystapooh@hotmail.com

Hope y'all dry out soon...
Chrysta

Alyssa said...

I am sooooooo sorry. We definitely know the squishy feeling, as our basement has decided to continue flooding even after we've got the gutters on. Hopefully this rain will end soon enough and you'll be able to fix things up for good... Oy Vey.

Jeni said...

OH ANNA! I am soooooooooooooo sorry! That sucks! I wanna say wish we were there to help but EW! I am sorry!