Rawlins Family

Rawlins Family

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Well, it figures. I guess I am officially a busy mom of three...sigh.
For the last 4 months I've been trying to pray my body back into shape. I didn't gain an unreasonable amount of weight - just the same 30 pounds I gain each time. And I breastfeed so that's supposed to just burn the fat right off, or so I'm told. But alas, here I sit 4 months post-partum with about 10 pounds to get to my pre-pregnancy weight and another 10 pounds after that to get to my dream weight. You know, the weight I haven't been since I was a junior in college. Actually, scratch that, I've been my dream weight twice in the last 8 years - once when I was running my butt off to get ready for Brian and Jeni's wedding (I looked awesome, I'll say that much), and again when I was about 3 months preggo with Miles. I had the worst morning sickness and dropped 12 pounds (but again, I looked awesome).
ANYWAY, I'm not much of a dieter. I really do best when I just eat normally. What really works for me is running. It is hands-down the only exercise that i really love enough to get up and do! And as a bonus, it takes off the pounds quickly and shapes up all of my post-baby parts.
The kicker? I have only done 2 or 3 post-baby runs. All of which took place at night because that was the only real time I could go. (2 seats in the double jogger + 3 children = Anna has to run without the kids until Cameron goes to school full time.) Unfortunately I'm not a night exerciser. By the time the kids are in bed and I've got the house somewhat recovered I barely have enough energy to get through flossing and brushing. So night running is out.
Of course this has left me trying to fit in aerobics videos or using my exercise ball and free weights...This lasts for about ten minutes because I have to go put Miles' diaper back on, or break up fights, or take the toothpaste away from Miles, or provide drinks and snacks to children who are suddenly famished and thirsty. The list goes on.
So yesterday I decided I've had enough! I decided that I was getting up early to go running today. Sophie has been sleeping much better - usually just waking once or twice a night. So while I can't survive on 5 or 6 hours of sleep EVERY night, I can do it three times a week and sneak in a few runs.
Things started well enough. I got the kids to bed on time, got the house cleaned up and spent a little time with Chase (watching the Biggest Loser which I accidentally recorded instead of AMERICAN IDOL!!!!! Not cool...I hope someone Tivo'd it!) and headed to bed around 10:15. Of course Sophie woke up at 10:30 and absolutely had to be fed so she would calm back down. No big deal, I'm still on schedule. Right. At 11 PM the hail and lightening started. I still wasn't worried. I just put on my jammies and got under the covers. Until 2 AM when the storm outside got violent. 2:15 Cameron arrived in our room screaming. He crawled in with us and we tried to get back to sleep. A few minutes later I figured I'd better check on Miles. He was fine so I got back in bed and pushed Cameron out of my spot. The next hour was spent sleeping about as well as I could with Cameron's knees and elbows in my back. I had to keep pushing him out o f my way. Then at 4 AM Sophie was awake so I had to get up and feed her. I was back in bed 15 minutes later only to be awakened at 5 AM by Sophie again! She just couldn't go back to sleep. I let her cry for awhile but it was clear she wanted my attention. After another feeding she went calmly back in her bed but quickly developed the LOUDEST hiccups I've ever heard! I turned off the monitor in our room and I could STILL hear them! Finally around 6 I was able to get back to sleep. There was no way I was getting up to run on only 3 solid hours of sleep!
So there it is. It figures, right? I guess tomorrow I'll follow Cameron's advice and "try, try again!"

4 comments:

Jeni said...

firrst lets get this out of the way. at my wedding you looked hot, pregnant with miles you looked hot... but it doesn't stop there. pregnant with sophie you looked amazing and NOW? You look amazing!

On another note, I cant wait to get back into shape after this pregnancy, I feel like a whale and I am sick of it. If there is a day you want me to come over and watch the kids while you run, I am down... I know how frusterating it can be and so you can run and then we can hang out afterward?! sound like a plan? you set the date, we are there!

on ANOTHER note, Natalie went COOCOO over Miles' picture today on our wall. She giggles and laughs everytime she see's it like she is saying "MILES! I love him! Even when he hits me I think it is funny, he is making me tough! I love him!"

Wiseguys said...

I feel your pain (in a much smaller way of course, as I only have 1/3 of the kids you do) There's always something that ruins my good intentions to work you and I'm not one to make up lame excuses either. I do know, however, that you're a great mom and that you look great every time I see you (which isn't often, but I always think to myself "I wish I could look as cute as Anna did when she was pregnant").

Alyssa said...

Hmmmm this blog leaves me feeling confused. I thought the best part of having kids was having an excuse to just get fat? So after I have kids, I'm still going to have to work out and try to keep my shape?? That sucks. Seriously. If I get fat, will you get fat with me?? That seems like something sisters should do for each other! Hahaha, JK of course. I applaud your efforts!! Honestly, you should just give miles and cameron some chocolate, attach them to leashes and let them run in front of the jogging stroller with Sophie in it. They'd probably pull you most of the way, anyway!!

Sara said...

I think you look fantastic, but good for you for wanting to get in better shape. You've motivated me! And thanks to Alyssa for that funny image of Cam & Miles pulling the stroller...it reminded me of the SNL skit with Mike Myers & Nicole Kidman when he eats chocolate and pulls the jungle gym down the street...so funny!